When talking about quick breakfast ideas, steel cut oats are probably the last thing you think of. According to any standard package you have to wait for a pot of water to boil, slowly stir in the oats, reduce heat and then simmer for 30 minutes. That’s not exactly warp speed in today’s busy world!
However, the one thing the package does not tell you is that steel cut oats are easily cooked in large batches and reheat beautifully – making this slow, hearty breakfast into a realistic weekday meal!
My secret is to make plain steel cut oats overnight on the weekend. Then, I can flavor them differently throughout the week for quick easy breakfasts without ever getting bored!
Here’s the basic formula:
- 1 cup Steel Cut (Irish) Oats (160g)
- 4 1/2 cups of water or your favorite milk
- Pinch of salt
Place all ingredients in the slow cooker, stir, cover and cook for at least eight hours (overnight) on low. Shut off heat, stir and let sit while you separate into single serve containers.
This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled based on the size of your crock pot and how many servings you’d like to make. To reheat the individual servings, simply warm in the microwave for two minutes then top with or mix in your favorite flavors.
Possible flavor additions:
- A handful of raisins, honey and a dash of cinnamon
- Diced apples and a wedge of Smooth Sensations Cream Cheese Spread Cinnamon Cream 1/3 Less Fat
- Mashed banana and chocolate chips
- Diced peaches, a dollop of plain, non-fat greek yogurt and honey
- A wedge of Smooth Sensations Cream Cheese Spread Strawberries & Cream 1/3 Less Fat and a handful of berries
- Applesauce and cinnamon
- Almonds, dried fruit and a drizzle of honey.
The results are endless when you have two-minute cooked steel cut oats at your disposal! What do you love to add to your oats?
Post A Comment