I have a 7-year-old son who is always hungry. Now that he’s home from school for the summer I hear this dreadful phrase at least 10 times a day, “Mom, can I have a snack?”
Sometimes it’s like nails on a chalkboard. Part of me wants to let him loose in the pantry, but with Dad’s chocolate cupcakes and bags of chips, I’m pretty sure the bowl of oranges and bananas will be ignored. So I have to have quick, healthier alternatives ready for his snacking needs!
Here are a few go-to snacks that both he and I love.
1. Frozen grapes. These are amazing and perfect for a hot summer day. Simply wash grapes, dry and put in single-serve plastic bags for a quick, easy, refreshing snack. My son asks for them now and we buy grapes specifically for freezing. Eat them with a Mini Babybel Light for some added protein!
2. The Laughing Cow Cheese Wedges and Crackers. Spread on your favorite flavor and top with fun things like turkey pepperoni, cucumbers or even dried cranberries. It’s a hands-on snack that put kids in charge and something the entire family will love too. Always a winner!
3. Smoothies. Who says a snack can’t be drinkable? Throw your favorite fruit in the blender add some milk or juice, ice and viola! Snack city. If you need some inspiration, check out my smoothie idea page on GreenLiteBites or this Yummy Berry Cheesecake Smoothie.
4. Sandwich Sushi (Pictured). Smear a wedge of The Laughing Cow or hummus on a tortilla, top with deli meat and veggies, roll and cut like sushi. Have a little honey mustard on the side for dipping. The kids will love it! Check out my original Sandwich Sushi idea here.
5. Homemade Trail Mix. Kids love to be involved. Pull out your favorite nuts, dried fruit, seeds and let them make their own trail mix! I also add a Mini Babybel cut into cubes. The salty nuts and cheese are an awesome combination!Post A Comment